Dietitians must be familiar with behavior change techniques. We know that clients do not change behaviors based on knowledge or information alone. Therefore, dietitians must familiarize themselves with strategies to evoke change talk with their clients. This comprehensive guide aims to provide a through overview on the use of Motivational Interview. Dietitians can use Motivational Interviewing across many practice areas and are in a unique role to engage with clients faced with the need for behavior change.
There are many pieces to consider when discussing behavior change with clients.
Amy is an experienced therapist and dietitian with extensive experience guiding individuals toward behavior change. This seventy page guide was created in order to answer
- What is Motivational Interviewing?
- When should we considering using Motivational Interviewing?
- What is the “Spirit of Motivational Interviewing”?
- How do I practice with the Spirit of Motivational Interviewing?
- What skills do I need while using Motivational Interviewing?
- What is the readiness ruler and how do I use this to assess readiness to change, motivation to change, and confidence to change?
- How do I ask open-ended questions?
- How can I elicit change talk?
- How should I respond to resistance?
- An overview of the four foundational processes in Motivational Interviewing and the steps that occur in each process.
- A comparison of the Transtheoretical Model (Stages of Change) to Motivational Interviewing and a guide on assessing the readiness to change.
- A guide on using affirmations, reflections, and summaries to evoke change talk.
- A step by step guide to create a plan of change according to the Spirit of Motivational Interviewing.
- Eighteen (18) Client handouts to use in session or provide as homework assignments.
- A step by step session guide with questions that you can use in a session. This guide includes blanks for you to fill in your client’s answers.
- BONUS: A readiness ruler with questions to assess your client’s readiness to change, confidence to change, and motivation to change.
- The Guide has a detailed Table of Contents for your easy reference.
Be sure to check out my other resources!
If you find this resource valuable, be sure to check out my Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Bundle featuring client worksheets, clinician guide and 3 training videos. And be sure to check out my other products listed below.
Questions: Email Amy at [email protected]therapy.com
I love this resource! I have been looking for something like this for a long time and am so happy I stumbled upon this site!!
You must log in and be a buyer of this download to submit a review.