When you have a pregnant client walk into your office, do you:
- Question the quality of the prenatal supplement your client is taking?
- Feel lost when it comes to updated research on micronutrients needs for pregnancy?
- Feel overwhelmed by your client’s individual nutrient needs, on top of what they need for pregnancy?
As a dietitian specializing in prenatal nutrition, I’ve been there. In the time allotted, it’s difficult to research a pregnant client’s prenatal vitamin, or give them accurate & concise information to take home as they search for a prenatal vitamin on their own. Taking into account your client’s daily habits, current dietary pattern, preferences on tablet/capsule/gummy, and finances is a LOT to consider, and there are so many products on the market. That’s why I created this guide: What To Look For In Your Prenatal Vitamin. This starter packet will help guide you and your client towards choosing a prenatal vitamin supplement that:
- Is high quality and safe to consume.
- Includes up-to-date, evidence-based recommendations for specific vitamins and minerals often missed in prenatal vitamins.
- Leaves room for you to add in individual supplement recommendations based on your client’s needs, with NEW supplement flowsheets to help you decide.
This educational resource is not only the perfect handout for your client, but something you can also use as a clinical reference for yourself when putting together supplement recommendations for your clients who are trying to conceive, pregnant, or breastfeeding. This guide purposely does not recommend specific supplement brands, but instead provides information in a clear way so your client can make an informed decision and learn to look at other supplements with a critical eye. Topics reviewed in this resource include:
- How to tell quickly if the product is screened for quality and safety by a 3rd party entity
- Activated B Vitamins
- Vitamn D
- Vitamin K2
- How to decide about supplementing additional choline, DHA, vitamin D or iron
For guidance on foods that nourish a healthy pregnancy, check out the Intuitive Pregnancy Grocery Guide, and for additional resources for your clients who have diabetes in their pregnancy, check out the Gestational Diabetes Client Resource.
You must log in to submit a review.