Did you know that one in four people have a problem with sleep.
The benefits: When your client learns how to improve their sleep habits, they may have additional health benefits including lower blood pressure, lower glucose values and lower A1C. It may also be easier for them lose weight.
Your patient has diabetes or is overweight. The first thing you will probably do is talk about food and help them develop a meal plan.
But… Wait a minute! Have you forgotten one of the key pieces in the management of diabetes and weight? That is a good night’s sleep; one that provides the needed quality of rest that will help with blood sugar control and can also help your client lose weight better.
Being sleep deprived, or getting low quality sleep, can impact blood pressure, obesity, and diabetes. Sleep problems are very common. Perhaps it is time to talk with your clients about sleep to help with other health issues.
Three education sheets designed to help your client get better sleep.
Tip sheet one describes
- the function of sleep how much sleep is recommended per night, and health consequences if poor quality sleep is occurring.
Worksheet # two – provides
- the questions and information your client can document to take to their appointment with their provider to discuss sleep/quality of their sleep to help with sleep issues.
Worksheet # three
- outlines sleep hygiene guidelines and enables your client to identify specific actions to take that can help them to improve their sleep including setting a goal to improve their sleep or sleep quality.
The goal section is in the SMART format to transition your patient from information to action.
Your client will identify what they will change to improve sleep or sleep quality, what are their barriers to implementing the goal, and what steps need to be taken to overcome the challenge or barrier.
It features the following:
- a checklist to identify sleep habits currently in place
- Includes a place to write a current goal
- including listing out potential obstacles to achieving the goal
- ways to overcome the obstacle
- Evaluation on the achievement of the goal
- Forms are in easy to use format – check boxes and bullet points
You must log in to submit a review.